Wednesday, August 24, 2011

So... here in Xalapa, at least the area I live in, trash pickup has its own, specific routine. Around here, the trash is picked up between 6 and 8 pm, everyday (except Sunday. there is NOTHING on Sunday). Such a HUGE time gap, you say? Well... no need to worry. A few minutes before the garbage truck pulls up, a cowbell is shaken up and down the streets to let everyone know "Hey, its almost time..." Then, everyone runs to the designated street corner with their bags of trash. Simple, no? I just never really knew where the cowbell came from exactly. A truck, a car...? CLEARLY not. Yesterday, I was walking home from my Jarana/Zapateado workshop downtown at around 7:45pm, when I FINALLY saw it... a boy, about 17 or 18 years old, walking up and down the streets in my neighborhood, cowbell in hand. I couldn't believe it... I stared for a bit, then went inside the house... bring the trash out.

Imagine doing THAT every evening!

On a side note, I've been taking a Jarana/Zapateado workshop everyday. I finally decided to give the strings a try. Its fun. And, I finally feel comfortable with Zapateado! I've been doing some tap dancing/zapateado exchanges over the past couple of weeks. Just wish I could've started it sooner!

2 more days until CHIAPAS!!!! YESSSSSSS!

Current Musical Obsession

No comments:

Post a Comment