Monday, April 11, 2011

Teachin' in Xalapa!!

So, the past 2 weeks were pretty busy ones. All good, though!

Like I said, I was subbing some dance classes for someone who was out of town. So, I had 3 classes a day, and LOVED it. In the AM, I taught some jazz/soft shoe tap, semi Broadway stuff. Think Chorus Line, Shim Sham, Fred Estaire. I did this type of dance for yeeeeeeears, and it was great to be able to work with it again. I taught an easy version of this classic swing phrase. There is also a tap version that I will be teaching soon... but more info on that later.



In the evenings, I focused on Afro Brazilian and Samba Reggae. It was a HIT. Nothing like this exists here, and everyone REALLY loved the rhythms I was working with. It makes me want to find my own space to keep going with it. We'll see....

Anyway, from one of the classes I was teaching I got in touch with a woman from Germany who owns a studio here in Xalapa. Well... I got invited to see her space, and after 10 mins of chatting she asked if I'd like to give a Tap Intensive during Semana Santa (Holy Week). Yesssssssssssss.......! So, Next week, I will be teaching my first tap dance intensive here in Mexico!! Raaaaaaaaaaaad! Now its just a matter of organizing my thoughts, and finding a place to get tap shoes made in this town!!



On top of that, I have another show with my Afro Cuban company this coming Sunday, so we're back to rehearsin' every day this week. Yes.... It'll be a busy one, but all good!

Aside from all the dance dance dancin' I've been doing, I had a seriously awesome weekend and am falling more and more in love with Xalapa. Friday, I went to a potluck at my friend Aranza's new BEAUTIFUL house, then taught Yanvalou for the first time. Followed by a Saturday in The cute town of Coatepec (neighbor of Xalapa), a Fandango/dance party, and Salsa dancin' with the Cubans at Bembe (the Cuban Salsa club here) till 4am. Sunday, with new friends, cocinando and watching Kill Bill, then off to se BOMBA ESTEREO play in Xalapa for the first time. Such a great show! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!! More fun than I could've asked for in 3 days. I've met amazing people here in Xalapa, and this weekend was a great reminder of that.

For your listening pleasure.....



I'm pretty excited to see what the next couple of months are gonna bring. Xalapa has been good to me so far...

<3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment