Thursday, September 19, 2013

Procrastination and Dance Battles

Its been a crazy month. Mostly due to my lack of commitment (to ANYTHING), but also due to so many awesome things going on all the time. The Director of my school called me "a free spirit" the other day, saying she finally gets me- Its not that I don't want to commit to things, but I just want to do everything, all the time. I think she has a point.

I finally started step one of a project I've wanted to work on for years. Its new, and scary, and makes me question everything I've ever done before, but in a good way (I guess). Its premiering this weekend (OMG), and its definitely been a learning experience. I was so self-conscious about the whole thing, I put off asking anyone to be involved in the piece until a month before the show. I've had the choreography set for months, but was too scared to get started. Its made for a crazy guessing game that's kept me up almost all night, every night for the past few weeks. In retrospect, getting over my doubts sooner would have made for a much saner process.... but, part of me also likes this sense of urgency and excitement that comes along with all the unknowns. I'm sure I'll get better at this whole thing as I keep doing it.

All that being said, this project is pretty significant to me- not only because its the first project I've choreographed/directed and am actually putting on a stage, but also because of the process and meaning behind it. I think in rhythms, if that makes sense. In dance, in daily life, I connect different rhythms all the time. So, while living in Veracruz, I immediately started grabbing on to the percussive elements that I came across. I didn't really know anyone or speak the language very well, but I used my experiences in Dance and Tap to connect with the traditional rhythms of Son Jarocho. When I spoke in bad spanish, no one believed that my grandparents were born in Veracruz, but when I danced it made sense. It was kind of like my "in," in a way. So now, in fusing the 2 different percussive styles, it's been super important for me to stay true to each form, but "messing" with it at the same time. And I must say, the piece that's come from all of this is bad-ass and I can't wait to present it! I've been privileged to work with some amazing dancers and musicians- Soooo f'in grateful for all their hard work.

Come see the show! It's gonna be a percussive Dance Battle that you can't take your ears off of!

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/455714

I leave you with one of my favorite sones from one of my favorite grupos. I've been listening to it a lot for inspiracion!!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment